Dog Adoption Contract Sample
The following is a sample dog adoption contract similar to what you will sign when you adopt your dog from a pound, shelter or other animal adoption agency.
The average cost of vaccinations, spay/ neuter, heartworm testing and a month’s care is $150. If your dog’s expenses are covered by your adoption fee, the remainder of the fee goes straight to the dogs to pay for food, medical care and the dogs’ daily needs. Your fee helps us rehabilitate a dog with long term needs or save a weak puppy. You might be buying time and life for a large dog, a black dog, or a shy dog, a dog whose life is not a financial practicality. When you adopt one of our dogs, you aren’t buying a pet; you are supporting our life saving rescue work.
Adopter has paid the sum of_____________________
The undersigned Adopter agrees to be bound by the following terms and conditions:
- Adopter will provide, all at his or her own expense, proper and sufficient food, water, shelter, kind treatment and proper medical care for the dog at all times. With this contract, you are agreeing to provide monthly care, yearly vaccines and to spay or neuter if it hasn’t already been done. We will help you find low-cost spay/neuter assistance if needed, and do all we can to answer your questions and support your transition as your new companion adjusts.
- Having a dog may require preparation such as putting up a fence to keep him safe, and putting away things that your new dog may want to chew. Adopter will keep the dog as an in-home companion and not as an outdoor yard dog. You agree not to chain your dog keep in a yard or a crate longer than is appropriate for the individual dog’s age, breed, and need for activity. Adopter agrees to comply with all city, state, and federal laws relating to animals, including "leash laws."
- If, for any reason, this adoption is not satisfactory to the Adopter, or if the Adopter fails to comply with the terms of adoption at any time during the life of the dog, the dog must be returned to our agency. The dog may not be given away or sold without the written approval of our agency, nor may it be surrendered to a shelter or pound.
- Adopter is fully aware that the agency makes no guarantees whatsoever as to the health, temperament, mental disposition and training of the dog.
- Adopter promises to LOVE the dog, to RESPECT the dog, and to TRAIN the dog in basic OBEDIENCE. Adopter promises to CARE FOR the dog in SICKNESS and in HEALTH. Adopter promises that the dog shall live in the house as a MEMBER OF THE FAMILY for the dog’s ENTIRE LIFE. Adopter promises to CHERISH and PROTECT the dog.
I have read this dog adoption contract and fully understand it and agree to be bound by its terms and conditions.
Adopter’s Signature: ____________________________
Return From Dog Adoption Contract to Choosing a Dog
Return from Dog Adoption Contract to Adopt the Right Dog Homepage